Completed!

Updated 5-23-2006

Beginning with the purchase in 1997, 2 years of hard work and being a major money pit, it was mostly finished in the summer of 1999. Of course with any of these projects, it continues even until today. I love the way that it turned out and am very pleased with its performance and look. I canít think of a single time that I have taken it out to the lake and not received numerous questions and comments about it.

Below are some of the finished pictures of the boat which I have taken recently (May of 2006) and some descriptions of their content. This is of course seven years after the initial finish date. Since then (1997), I have only put about 15 hours of time on it. Not because I donít love to take it out, but donít seem to have the time. Most of the time, I take it out by myself, just to ride around. I try to ski at least once a summer just to prove to myself that at 44, I can still do it.

----- Click on any of the thumbnails to get a larger picture. ----

  

 ††

As you can see, itís not the original color scheme! (Thank goodness.)

††

The heart of the boat is a Chrysler 318, reverse rotation motor. I bought a reconditioned long block and reused the intake and front timing chain cover. The exhaust manifolds I replaced with new ones even though I think that the old ones were good. I put an electronic ignition and new distributor on it along with a new Edelbrock 600cfm carburetor with electric choke. New hoses and cables, shift and throttle, were also installed. About the only thing not replaced was the alternator. I took it to a local rebuilder and had it checked out and was told it was fine, so I left it as is. I reused the starter from the old motor but that proved to be a mistake because the second trip out, stuck out in the middle of the lake with no way to start it. (This has been the only time it has let me down!) This may be the reason my wife doesnít like going out with me anymore.

††

The windshield is new. I had a local plastics manufacturer make me two, one smoked and one clear like the original. It was just slightly more for the second one because the major cost was in the mold or frame needed to make the bends. I liked the way the smoked one turned out and used it. I have the other if ever I have a need to replace it. The front air intakes are original, I just cleaned and polished them up a little and they looked great. The front light was broken when I bought the boat, but I found an exact copy in a IBoats catalog. The exhaust is straight out the back and a little loud but that adds to the uniqueness of this vessel to me! I have taken care not to allow the bottom to contact the hull of the boat and it is in almost perfect condition still.

††††

The dash was in bad shape, so I made a new one out of oak and used Raka Marines epoxy to cover it. I originally made it for a temporary dash until I could fine someone that could duplicate the original but it turned out great so I have kept it as is. The steering wheel was of the plastic nature and was ugly even when new so I used a later model (1972 I think) from Correct Craft. I had a local interior shop redo the seats in a simple white vinyl like it was originally except for the stitching is French stitch instead of the old style. There were step plates on the sides, both front and rear but I was unable to find replacements for them as of yet. They were white vinyl with a chrome trim and the vinyl was in very bad shape. I have just left them off.

††

The eyelet I backed up with a stainless plate. I also reinforced the back side so that it would have no chance of pulling out. The swim platform is not original. I found these cool brackets from a manufacturer in California. They allow the platform to be removed by just pulling two small retaining pins. The platform was custom made by a company in Tennessee. By being able to remove it, it is easy to keep it in good shape.

 

 

 

 


Back Home