Was not my favorite, but was rewarding!


The carpet that came with the kit is not going to be used. First off, it is not backed so it will unravel. Second, the carpet for the tunnel and the back does not match the carpet sent for the floor. One is dark gray, the other has a dark green tint. This may or may not be the intent, but it does not appeal to me at all. So down to the upholstery supply house and see what carpet they had. I wanted a darker gray, but they had some that looked pretty good. I bought 5 yards and 2 yards of a cheaper carpet that matched what came with the kit for the trunk area. I will need to redo this also because of my fuel fill tube relocation and also the lack of use of the upper part of the trunk by the pieces supplied by the kit.


I began by using the supplied (by B&B kit) insulation. I used the same general purpose adhesive for attaching this as I did for the dash. I then began on the tunnel portion of the interior. (Just because I haven’t done this before and it seemed like the logical place to start.) I would place the carpet over the area and cut it to fit. Then when it was right, I sprayed it with adhesive and stuck it down.


IMG_1680.JPG  IMG_1681.JPG  IMG_1696.JPG


Now you may have noticed that I left the bottom uncovered. I read on Club Cobra of someone making removable panels in case it rained or otherwise got wet. I thought this would be a good idea after washing the car a couple of times and sponging out the water that collected in this area. I did this by cutting a piece of ¼” plywood to fit and covering it with the insulation and carpet. I left the carpet loose at the rear and a little long to fill in under the seat area and still be able to get the piece in. When it is put in, you can’t even tell it is not installed like the rest of the carpet. Ata boy to whoever thought this one up!


IMG_1694.JPG  IMG_1695.JPG  IMG_1697.JPG  IMG_1698.JPG

(The dark spots are sweat! July in Arkansas!)


I then turned my attention to the side panels. What was supplied by the kit are not going to be used, but they did give me a pattern to work off of. One reason is that they did not cover the side past the door strike area. Also, where the frame came down in the area of the door hinge mounts, it bowed out and didn’t fit at all. I extended the side and cut an area for the frame humps on mine. This also allowed me to make provisions for securing the panel and making it fit the opening more exactly.


IMG_1693.JPG  IMG_1701.JPG  IMG_1699.JPG  IMG_1700.JPG


I bought some ¼” padding and matching vinyl from the same upholstery supply as the carpet and glued it just like the dash except I could staple the back to the plywood. This was extremely easy and made it look much better. I also cut 1 ½” sections of 1 ½” angle aluminum and riveted them to the back to allow for securing the panels to the sides.  


sides 001.jpg  sides 002.jpg  sides 005.jpg


The panels turned out pretty good. They fit flush against the side and have a very clean look to them.


sides 006.jpg  sides 007.jpg


I placed the panels from the kit in the trunk and cut an area to allow the hinge to pass through the back panel. This panel blocks off a pretty large area behind the passenger area that I plan on using. It looks to me like I need every inch I can get! I took this time to fabricate a mount for the rear view mirror that attaches to the top of the windshield. I had it mounted to the dash in the correct location before painting and I had a real hard time seeing anything in it! So I relocated it to the top of the windshield. Not period correct, but much more functional! Also it was time for the wipers!


IMG_1702.JPG  IMG_1679.JPG  IMG_1678.JPG


And one more accessory, the hood prop.


IMG_1703.JPG  IMG_1704.JPG



| Home | Next |